Functions and responsibilities of DBAs
DBA: person in the organization who controls the design and the use of the database refers as DBA.
1. Schema Definition:
- The DBA definition the logical Schema of the database.A Schema refers to the overall logical structure of the database.
- According to this schema, database will be developed to store required data for an organization.
2. Storage Structure and Access Method Definition:
- The DBA decides how the data is to be represented in the stored database.
3. Assisting Application Programmers:
- The DBA provides assistance to application programmers to develop application programs.
4. Physical Organization Modification:
- The DBA modifies the physical organization of the database to reflext the changing needs of the organization or to improve performance.
5. Approving Data Access:
- The DBA determines which user needs access to which part of the database.
- According to this,various types of authorizations are granted to different users.
6. Monitoring Performance:
- The DBA monitors performance of the system.The DBA ensures that better performance is maintained by making changes in physical or logical schema if required.
7. Backup and Recovery:
- Database should not be lost or damaged.
- The DBA ensures this periodically backing up the database on magnetic tapes or remote servers.
- In case of failure, such as virus attack database is recovered from this backup.