Various Definitions related to database
What is Data?
- Data means known facts, which can be recorded and implicit meaning. data is also a collection of facts and figures.
What is Information?
- Information means processed or organized data.which can be drived from data and facts.
What is Data-Item (field)?
- It is a character or group of characters that has a specific meaning.
- For Example,
cname from customer table
What is record?
- It is a collection of logically related fields.
- And we also say that record consists of values for ech field.
What is file?
- It is a collection related records.which arranged in a specific sequence.
What is metadata?
- Set of data that describes and gives information about another data.
- in other words, data about data is called metadate.
- Example is given table below for metadata.
What is System Catalog?
- The system catalog is a collection of tables and views that contain important information about a database. A system catalog is available for each database.
What is data warehouse?
- A data warehouse is a decision support database that is maintained separately from the organization's operational database.
What is data dictionary?
- data dictionary is a file that contains metadata that is usually a part of the system catalog.
- It have following for components: