Before starting to learn C++ it is essential to have a basic knowledge of the concepts of Object oriented programming. Some of the important object oriented features are namely:
- Data Abstraction
- Data Encapsulation
Objects are the basic unit of OOP.
They are instances of class, which have data members
and uses various member functions
to perform tasks.
- Class is similar to structures in C language.
- Class can also be defined as user defined data type but it also contains functions in it.
- So, class is basically a blueprint for object. It declare & defines what data variables the object will have and what operations can be performed on the class's object.
- Inheritance is a way to reuse once written code again and again.
- The class which is inherited is called base class & the class which inherits is called derived class.
- So when, a derived class inherits a base class, the derived class can use all the functions which are defined in base class, hence making code reusable.
- Data Abstraction increases the power of programming language by creating user defined data types.
- Data Abstraction also represents the needed information in the program without presenting the details.
- It can also be said data binding. Encapsulation is all about binding the data variables and functions together in class.
- Data Encapsulation combines data and functions into a single unit called Class.
- When using Data Encapsulation, data is not accessed directly; it is only accessible through the functions present inside the class.
- Data Encapsulation enables the important concept of data hiding possible.
- It is a feature, which lets us create functions with same name but different arguments, which will perform differently.
- That is function with same name, functioning in different way.
- Or, it also allows us to redefine a function to provide its new definition.
All these concept will explained in next tutorials.