Introduction to DBMS
DBMS stands for D
To start learn DBMS, first we learn about some basics.
What is database?
- To understand database we must know first about data ," data means known facts that can be recorded and have implicit meanings. "
- And a "database is a collection or group of inter-related data. "
- database represents some aspect of the real word.
- For example ,consider data of a bank accounts. here,all the data - id,name,address,contact no - interrelated.so,they represent some particular customer.
- so , database is some kind of collection of data.
What is database management system?
- A database management system is a collection of inter-related data and a set of programs to manipulate those data.
- database management system stores data in such a way that it becomes easier to retrieve, manipulate, and produce information.
- Data manipulation consist various operation like store data, modify data, remove data, retrieve that data.
- So, DBMS = Database + Set of programs
- It also provide security or safety against system crashes.
What is database environment?
- A database system provides basic functionalities like storage,manipulation and use of data.
- It have four major components of the database system which forms the database system environment.
- It is most important component of database system.
- Data means known facts which can be recorded and have implicit meaning.
- All physical module of a computer are referred as hardware.
- Such as memory, mouse, hard disk, printer, etc.
- Software provides interconnection between users and database stored in physical devices.
- The operating system manages all hardware of the computer.
- DBMS software and operating system form the sofware component here.
- Any person who interacts with a database in any form is consider as database user
- categories of the database user:
- Database administrator
- Database designers
- Application programmers
- End users