Advantages of file-oriented system
Advantage and Disadvantages of File-oriented system are given below
Advantage of File-oriented system:
- It is possible to take faster and automatic back-up of database stored in files of computer-based systems.
- computer systems provide functionalities to serve this purpose.it is also possible to develop specific application program for this purpose.
- It is possible to store data compactly.
3. Data Retrieval:
- Computer-based systems provide enhanced data retrieval techniques to retrieve data stored in files in easy and efficient way.
- It is easy to edit any information stored in computers in form of files.
- Specific application programs or editing software can be used for this purpose.
5. Remote Access:
- In computer-based systems,it is possible to access data remotely.
- so,to access data it is not necessary for a user to remain present at location where these data are kept.
- Data stored in files of computer-based systems ca be shared among multiple users at a same time.
Disadvantage of File-oriented system:
1. Data Redundancy:
- It is possible that the same information may be duplicated in different files.this leads to data redundancy results in memory wastage.
2. Data Inconsistency:
- Because of data redundancy,it is possible that data may not be in consistent state.
3. Difficulty in Accessing Data:
- Accessing data is not convenient and efficient in file processing system.
4. Limited Data Sharing:
- Data are scattered in various files.also different files may have different formats and these files may be stored in different folders may be of different departments.
- So, due to this data isolation, it is difficult to share data among different applications.
5. Integrity Problems:
- Data integrity means that the data contained in the database in both correct and consistent.for this purpose the data stored in database must satisfy correct and constraints.
6. Atomicity Problems:
- Any operation on database must be atomic.
- this means, it must happen in its entirely or not at all.
7. Concurrent Access Anomalies:
- Multiple users are allowed to access data simultaneously.this is for the sake of better performance and faster response.
8. Security Problems:
- Database should be accessible to users in limited way.
- Each user should be allowed to access data concerning his requirements only.